Chicago - The Windy City
Chicago is the third most populated city in the United States. It is also the largest city in the state of Illinois. Chicago is unique in that it has an abundance of nicknames. Some of these include: the "Windy City", "Second City", the "City of Big Shoulders", the "Most of American of Big Cities" and finally, "Chi-Town". It's most commonly known nickname however is the "Windy City".
Chicago is a great place to visit for parents traveling with children. Drive your Chicago SUV rental to any one of the following hot spots:
• The Field Museum where you can see mummies such as King Tut
• Take a walk or bike ride along the shores of Lake Michigan
• VIsit the John G. Shedd Aquarium and Oceanarium to see whales, dolphins, sea otters and sharks
• The Children's Museum
• Visit the Crown Fountain at Millennium Park for a fun-filled day of water activities
If you are interested in architecture, Chicago is sure to please. Drive your Chicago car rental through downtown and catch a glimpse of the two largest buildings in the United States: Willis Tower and Trump International Hotel and Tower. The Aon Center and the John Hancock Center are two other notably tall highrises situated in Chicago.
Chicago is famous for its unique cuisine. Park your Chicago rental car on a busy street and explore some of the fantastic street food offered. The famous deep-dish pizza as well as the Chicago-style thin crust pizza are both common fare. The Chicago-style hot dog is generally made with Vienna beef and is characterized by being loaded up with toppings such as pickled sport peppers, dill pickles, neon green relish, tomato wedges and topped with celery salt. Italian beef sandwiches and the Puerto Rican-influenced jibarito are both popular.
- Expressways have nicknames, so be sure to know these names well so that you can check traffic reports
- Parking garages are the best places to park in Chicago as street parking can be difficult
- Have your money ready for toll payments - some tollbooths require exact change
- If you are heading to Whacker Drive know which section you are looking for as this is a multi-level street
- Take public transportation to a Cubs game as parking is next to impossible