After an Accident
Accidents can happen, even while driving a cheap rental car.
In the event of being involved in an accident, it is important that you do the following:
- Make sure any involved parties are ok. Any injuries should be taken care of ASAP.
- Call the police and/or ambulance (if necessary), and then call the car rental agency. Be as cooperative as possible. The car rental agency will have its own policies regarding accidents.
- Exchange information with the affected parties.
- Try to record everything concerning the scene. Your notes should include details of the accident, identification of the autos and people involved, and the names and badge numbers of all emergency personnel. Take pictures if possible. Note the weather and road conditions.
- File an accident report with the police, and report the claim to your own insurance carrier (e.g. Your credit card company or the like).
Who Is Responsible For The Damage?
The amount of damage you are responsible for depends on what you already have covered by your existing auto/health/personal insurance policy and/or credit card and/or what you purchased from the car rental agency.
Can I Get A Replacement Car?
In most cases, unless the accident is a result of extreme carelessness on your part, the rental agency will rent you a replacement vehicle. If the accident is small, and there is no major damage, the agency may allow you to continue driving the car.
Having A Breakdown
Many cheap car rental agencies provide roadside assistance. Look at your rental contract; it should include instructions and a toll-free number.